Wednesday, August 27, 2014

electonics and stuff


As I have about 6 days until I board my plane for Switzerland, I have been running around frantically. Checking, double-checking and triple-checking to make sure I have everything I need. Today I received my debit card and 150 euros. About a week ago I opened a bank account with Santander. I chose Santander because while it is a bank in the US, it is also a popular bank in Spain. Luckily for me, there happens to be a Santander bank in Tudela, the city I will live in. Along with my banking, we also purchased a laptop with a detachable monitor (acting sort of like a tablet), European plug adapters and a handheld English-Spanish translator. With the translator..... We originally planned on buying just a small, pocket-sized Spanish dictionary. But after looking at a couple and searching for many minutes for specific words, we decided that although cheaper, it was just too inconvenient and too much of a hassle. At this point, I feel fully prepared for Spain. Except for the packing part... I began packing a couple weeks ago, just before Momoka arrived... I have not done much since. I understand that I leave for New York in 4 days and I need to have everything packed SOON, but it is such a tedious process and I get distracted so easily. I PLAN, HOPE and PRAY that I am able to get mostly everything packed by the end of tomorrow, as I will be busy most of Friday. We will see, and even if it all ends on Sunday evening in a giant rush (knock on wood) at least I should be good to go by the time we leave. No matter how badly I procrastinate, it will all be OK in the end..... Won't it?

What's weird is that I have known Momoka for only about two weeks and I already know that I am going to miss her. It kind of makes me upset that I was here for the beginning of her exchange and we have become rather close friends, but I will not be able to experience many things with her though out the year. Things like homecoming, first crushes, Friday night football, family vacations, are all things that I am sure I will miss, but I am more saddened by the thought that I will not be able to witness all of Momoka's firsts.

I had my going away party two weekends ago, it was fun and exciting and got me hype to leave. I was a bit surprised by the fact that although I was happy all of my friends were supporting me, I wasn't worried about missing them too much. I love them all, don't get me wrong, but I am just excited to begin my life in Spain. I don't think it has quite hit me yet how long a year really is and how much I love all of the people around me. Below are a few pictures from my party.

No comments:

Post a Comment